Construction Equipment Rental in Green Bay, WI

About Construction Projects in Green Bay, WI

Green Bay, Wisconsin, is a city growing at a steady pace. This growth is showing in the construction industry. In January 2017, the Green Bay Commerce Department revealed that the number of new single-family homes built grew by 3.7 percent. With more building jobs on the way, Green Bay contractors are busy. Find out what you need to know when starting a building project in Green Bay.

Building Permits

In Wisconsin, you’ll need a permit for almost all types of construction projects, such as building new structures or making changes to existing buildings. This work includes commercial buildings, houses, sheds, decks, fences, patios, swimming pools, and garages. Electrical, plumbing, and HVAC work also need permits.

For roofing or siding, you only need a permit for a three or more unit building. Before issuing permits for external work on properties in the historic district, the Historic Preservation Commission has to approve the proposed plans.

In most cases, you won’t need a permit for inside work. However, you’ll need to offer a floor plan for the following jobs:

  • Interior alterations that will change the floor plan
  • Basement remodeling
  • Structural changes
  • Work done to stoops, stairs, landings, and ramps smaller than 25 square feet

Building Inspections

When you receive your permit, a building inspector will let you know when to ask for inspections. Initial inspection and follow-up are free, but a $50 fee applies for reinspections. To ask for an inspection, call 920-448-3300 at least one business day before you want your project inspected.

Contractor Licensing

Contractors need the proper credentials to work in the City of Green Bay. These credentials include the State of Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor Certification and a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification. The Department of Safety and Professional Services issues both. Before granting permits on one- and two-family houses, the City of Green Bay will check that the contractor has both these certifications.

Only licensed electrical contractors can work in the State of Wisconsin. You’ll need to present your State License and Master License when applying for an electrical permit.

Liability Coverage

Issues can and do go wrong on building sites. Projects run late, workers can get hurt, and damage to property can happen. Contractors must make sure they have insurance to cover any problems.

The City of Green Bay requires Commercial General Liability Insurance on a per-occurrence basis with limits of not less than $1 million per occurrence. Insurance coverage should include:

  • At least $500,000 combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage per accident
  • Worker’s compensation
  • Motor vehicle liability insurance
  • Lead and asbestos abatement coverage

The insurance should name the City of Green Bay and Redevelopment Authority under “Additional Insured.”

Renting Equipment in Green Bay, Wisconsin

For jobs big or small, renting equipment is an easy and affordable way to get your building jobs done. You can rent equipment such as manliftsscissor lifts, boom lifts, and forklifts.

The housing market in Green Bay is doing well. Now is a good time to build a new house or improve a current house. Make sure you’re up to date on all of your paperwork and required licenses before you begin your next job.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location