Construction Equipment Rental in Omaha, NE

About Construction Projects in Omaha, NE

Omaha, Nebraska, sits on Nebraska’s eastern edge. It is close to the Missouri river and has a considerable pioneer history. Omaha has a meager unemployment rate. Moderate job growth is projected for the next ten years in Omaha. Construction is a major industry in Omaha. Learn about local permit guidelines to work as a contractor here.

Omaha Building Permits

To get a permit in Omaha, you need to have a license. The only exception? Homeowners can get permits to work on their properties.

You can get a permit at theĀ Omaha Civic Center. Find it at 1819 Farnam St. on the 11th floor. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.

Along with your permit application, you might need to submit:

  • Site plans
  • Structural drawings
  • Floor plans
  • Elevation drawings
  • Survey certificates
  • Application and permit fees

Your site plan needs to have a few things. This is a drawing of the whole property. It has the dimensions of the lot. It also includes the improvements you plan to do and information about property boundaries.

Building and Contractor Licenses

The City of Omaha needs all contractors to be licensed. Five classes of contractor license are available:

  • Class A. You can work on all structures. This includes high rises.
  • Class B. You can work on any building as high as four stories.
  • Class C. You can build homes and duplexes.
  • Class D. You can remodel residences.
  • Class E. You can do roofing, siding, windows, and decks.

To become a licensed contractor in Omaha, you need:

  • To pass the Omaha licensing test.
  • To pay the fee.
  • To prove you have insurance.

To take the Omaha licensing test, call Pearson VUE. You can schedule an exam by phoning 1-877-234-6082. If you have more questions, call the City of Omaha Planning Department. The number is 402-444-5350.

Liability Insurance

Licensed Omaha contractors need to meet insurance requirements. The required policy amounts are as follows:

  • Classes A and B need $1,000,000.
  • Class C needs $500,000.
  • Classes D and E need $300,000.

You need to register with the state of Nebraska for workers compensation insurance. You also need a $10,000 bond to work as a licensed contractor.

Best Equipment to Use

Nebraska soil is mostly made of sand and silt. This kind of soil erodes easily and can be difficult to drive over. When using big tools, make sure they have stabilizers. Your boom lifts and scissor lifts will only work on flat surfaces here.

Driving manlifts and forklifts over silty soil can be difficult. If you must use these lifts, get models with four-wheel-drive. Renting all-terrain lifts from BigRentz is the best way to deal with Omaha soil.

Are you ready to start your Omaha contracting or a building business? Omaha contractors can rise above the competition with local permit knowledge. Get your license and start your business. Save money by renting the equipment you need. Tap into Omaha’s low unemployment rate and booming construction industry today.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location