Construction Equipment Rental in Provo, UT

About Construction Projects in Provo, UT

Are you a contractor who wants to open a business in Provo, Utah? Learn about getting building permits first. Contractors doing residential and commercial work need to know all about permit applications.

Residential and Commercial Permits

Here is the kind of work you need a permit for in Provo, Utah:

  • Construction
  • Enlarging
  • Altering
  • Repairing
  • Demolishing
  • Occupancy changes
  • Electrical work
  • Gas work
  • Mechanical work
  • Plumbing work

For commercial projects, that means work like:

  • Additions or remodeling
  • Building airports
  • Demolishing buildings
  • Renovating historic property
  • Building multi-family residences
  • New construction in general
  • Pools
  • Restaurants
  • Subdivisions
  • Tenant finishes, or interior remodeling jobs

For residential projects, that means work like:

  • Additions or remodeling
  • Decks, fences, or retaining walls
  • Demolishing houses, parts of houses, or extra buildings
  • Rebuilding or repairing after a fire
  • Renovating historic property
  • Multi-family residences
  • Building new houses
  • Installing pools
  • Adding sheds or other accessory buildings
  • Replacing or installing water heaters, AC units, and furnaces

Sometimes, you can do small projects without a permit. Take, for example, a residential shed. If you’re building a shed for a client that is smaller than 200 square feet, you don’t need a permit. You do have to, keep in mind where it sits on the property. So, the shed has to be a certain distance from the house and the property line.

On the other hand, if that shed is bigger than 200 square feet, you need a permit.

Getting Permits

You need to send your permit application, and your project plans to the Community Development Department. Your application will have lots of extra papers with it. Using the same shed as an example, you’ll need:

  • Two paper sets of architectural drawings
  • A CD with the architectural drawings on it
  • Energy Conservation Code compliance
  • The contractor’s license number. The contractor signs the building permit application
  • For owners, you need the Owner/Builder Certification Form

If your project is bigger than 3,000 square feet, a Utah state-licensed architect needs to draw the plans. For single-family homes or garages, anyone can draw the plans. However, the plans need to be to scale and correct. Getting an expert to draft the plans is always the best idea.

Licensing and Liability for Contractors

To work as a contractor in Provo, you need a Utah contractor’s license and liability coverage. Provo doesn’t ask for any extra licensing.

However, if you are going to open up a contracting business, you need a business license. Those licenses begin Jan. 1 and expire Dec. 31. You will have to renew it every year.

Best Rental Equipment

The soil in Provo is mostly clay. This means it can shrink when it’s dry or expand greatly when wet. These extreme changes mean you need to plan your building projects right. Rent your manlifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, and forklifts from BigRentz to make sure you have everything you need.

Being familiar with how to get a permit will make your job much easier. Though homeowners can do some work themselves, a competent contractor is always in demand.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location