Stay Connected With Your Rental
  • Place Orders and Monitor Rental Status
  • Terminate and Extend Rentals
  • Receive Notifications
  • Report Issues and View Invoices
Learn More iPhone CRV

Not finding your city? Chances are we service your area so contact us for a personalized quote.

About Construction Projects in Washington

Browse our Washington heavy equipment rental locations by city. BigRentz offers a wide variety of heavy equipment for rent, including earth moving machines, aerial equipment, lift trucks, compaction equipment, and job site services.

What You Need To Know

Find out if you need a license to work as a contractor in the state of Washington. Learn about the soil you’ll be working with, so you can plan your job sites. Finally, rent the right equipment to have a safe and successful construction job.

Contractor Licenses in Washington

In Washington, you don’t need a license to work as a general or specialty contractor. Only electricians and plumbers need licenses.

But, if you’re going to do any building work for someone else, you need to register with the Washington Department of Labor and Industries. Register for this kind of work:

  • House flipping
  • Construction
  • Remodeling
  • Residential property development
  • Demolishing

Start by registering with the Washington Secretary of State. Then, make a Business License Application. After that, you need to fill out the Application for Contractor Registration. You must get the application notarized. You have to buy a surety bond and then send the application with the fee to the Department of Labor and Industries.

If you start a job without registering, you’ll be subject to a fine. The fine starts at $1,000 but can be much larger. Your site might also have to shut down.

Remember, cities and counties might have extra licensing requirements. Before you start a job, check what they ask for. The state itself doesn’t require continuing education, either. But, specific areas might.

Building Codes in Washington

You’ll need to follow certain building codes when you’re doing construction. These include:

  • Residential Code
  • Mechanical Code
  • Fire Code
  • Plumbing Code
  • Energy Code
  • Ventilation Code

A lot of Washington’s code information comes from national building codes. Since state codes go through amendment, knowing national codes isn’t enough. Some of the information is state-specific, which is the case for the Washington State Energy Code. You can find the whole code at the Washington State Department of Enterprise Services website.

Choosing the Right Equipment

When you do outdoor jobs in Washington, you have to know about the soil and terrain. For instance, Washington has volcanic soil. It has a mixture of gravel and loam as well as lots of layers. You’ll need four-wheel-drive equipment to handle these sites.

Before you start, test the soil to find out what’s in it. Slopes in this kind of soil can be unstable because of the gravel. When you’re renting equipment that can work on a gradient, keep that in mind. Some lifts, like telescoping boom lifts, have extra stabilizers. Stabilizers will help your equipment stay upright and sturdy when working in Washington’s soil.

In urban settings, you need different things. For this particular area, rent equipment without a lot of tail swing. You also want equipment that works well in tight spots, such as boom lifts and forklifts.

Rent the equipment you need for your job at BigRentz. When you rent, maintenance and storage aren’t your problems. Get the right size forklifts, scissor lifts, manlifts, and boom lifts for the length of time you need them. Then, swap them out for other rented equipment as you finish the job.

Enter jobsite location to see local rates:
Use Current Location